- What is Business Aviation?
- Flight Department Administration
- Aircraft Operations
- Professional Development
- News & Publications
- Products & Services
The NBAA Management Guide is an industry how-to manual for business aviation management. Recognized as one of NBAA’s most popular Member benefits, this publication assists flight departments with operational, maintenance, administrative and other considerations.
It should be noted that this is not a complete guide for all functions of the flight department; consequently, it does not cover every possible situation faced by business aviation managers. However, the NBAA Management Guide does attempt to summarize essential information concerning the operation of a flight department, including chapters on Administration, Flight Operations, International Operations and Maintenance Operations.
Much of the information contained in this guide may be used as reference material to educate non-aviation company personnel on accepted practices and norms of the business aviation community. One of the essential functions of flight department personnel is to ensure that all company personnel appreciate and understand the operation, capabilities and value of the flight department.
The NBAA Management Guide is an evolving document. In coordination with its standing committees, NBAA periodically issues content revisions for this publication as new information becomes available. The Association welcomes your feedback and questions on this publication. Send all comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest Version: 2014-01 (Released in Fall 2014)
Member operators are encouraged to always familiarize themselves with the latest edition of the NBAA Management Guide. Released in Fall 2014, the latest edition is being provided for viewing in three formats: as a printed three-ring binder, as a PDF download and as web pages.order your copy now.
The NBAA Management Guide web pages are still in the process of being updated with 2014-01 edition changes. Please check back to view the updated web pages soon.
Explanation of Changes to the 2014-01 Edition
The 2014-01 edition introduces the following changes to the content of the NBAA Management Guide:
- Updates to Section 1.1, Purpose of the Aviation Department.
- Updates to Section 1, Administration, regarding the scheduler/dispatcher role – including Section 1.6, Aviation Department Personnel, and Figures 1.1, 1.3 and 1.4 – provided by NBAA’s Schedulers & Dispatchers Committee.
- Updates to Section 1.3, Flying Safety Programs, to reflect current NBAA Flying Safety Award categories.
- Updates to Section 1.6 to add Certified Aviation Manager (CAM) references, and Section 1.15, to include reference to NBAA’s CAM Candidate Information Handbook.
- Updates to Section 1.13, Pilot Retirement Considerations, by NBAA’s Regulatory Issues Advisory Group.
- Updates to Section 1.15 to reflect the new name of NBAA’s Business Aviation Convention & Exhibition and current NBAA event descriptions.
- Addition of new Securities and Exchange Commission information for Section 1.30, Non-Business Use of Employer-Provided Aircraft.
- Updates to Section 1.34, References for Administration.
- New “Operational Control” line in Figure 2.1, Standard Service Form.
- Updates to Section 2.19, References for Flight Operations.
- Changes throughout Section 3, International Operations, contributed by NBAA’s International Operators Committee.
- Updates to reflect the new name of NBAA’s Compensation Survey wherever needed.
Note: For any Management Guide edition, margin lines are used to help readers identify areas with revisions, and sections may be reflowed and/or renumbered where needed to accomodate revisions.
To share comments about the NBAA Management Guide that would benefit future revisions, contact NBAA at email@example.com.