- What is Business Aviation?
- Flight Department Administration
- Aircraft Operations
- Professional Development
- News & Publications
- Products & Services
New York City: UN General Assembly Temporary Flight Restrictions
Sept. 5, 2013
As part of the 68th United Nations (UN) General Assembly in New York City, a number of Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFR) NOTAMs will be issued for the New York metro area on September 18-30, 2013. The following information is taken from the FAA Flight Advisory for the event. TFR NOTAMs will be issued prior to the event with more specific date/time information.
Members are strongly advised to check NOTAMS in advance of any flights in the metro New York area during September 18-30. Review NOTAMs on FAA's website
The TFRs will include the following restrictions:
- TFR #1 (September 18-30): This is a relatively small 2 nm mile TFR, which will be in effect daily from 1200z-2100z from September 18-30. This TFR only impacts the Manhattan heliports, however, they are still accessible to aircraft squawking a discrete transponder code and communicating with ATC from September 18 through September 23 and from September 25 through September 30.
- TFR #2 (September 23-24): This TFR consists of an inner 7 nm mile ring, which covers LGA and the Manhattan heliports. Helicopter operations will be permitted to the heliports utilizing gateway airport procedures at Farmingdale Republic Airport (FRG) and Linden Airport (LDJ). There is a 2 nm cut-out that will allow aircraft on an active flight plan, squawking a discrete transponder code, and communicating with ATC to access TEB. The outer ring of this TFR consists of the lateral confines of New York Class B airspace. GA flights are prohibited from this area except for those allowed into the 7 miles ring and IFR/VFR traffic to and from FRG and Westchester County Airport (HPN) – no other GA flights can transition the airspace.
- TFR #3 (September 23-24): This TFR along with TFR #2, will provide ingress/egress procedures for traffic to and from Morristown Airport (MMU) during the effective times.
- TFR #4 (September 23 and September 24): This TFR will consist of an 8NM ring centered on the JFK VOR and will prohibit GA operations at JFK during the effective times.
Gateway Airport Information
Gateway airports have been created at FRG and LDJ by FAA, TSA and U.S. Secret Service to accommodate helicopters arriving and departing West 30th St. Heliport (JRA), Downtown Manhattan/Wall St Heliport (JRB), East 34th Street Heliport (6N5) and VFR fixed wing seaplane operations arriving and departing New York Skyports Inc Seaplane Base (6N7). TSA screening will be available daily during the TFRs and exact times will be published in the NOTAM. Special ATC procedures and routes to and from these airports will be assigned prior to departure from a gateway airport. Intermediate stops are not authorized unless an emergency exists.
For More Information
Contact the NBAA Operations Service Group at (202) 783-9250 or [email protected] with any questions.