FAA Releases Air Traffic Procedures NOTAM for Kentucky Derby
May 1, 2019
The Kentucky Derby will be held on May 5 at Churchill Downs in Louisville, KY, and the FAA has released an air traffic procedures NOTAM for the Louisville, KY area between May 2-6, with details on how the agency will manage the expected air traffic.
Best practices for aircraft operators planning to operate to or from Louisville-area Airports between May 1-5:
- Although there will be no air traffic slot reservation program in effect, operators should contact their preferred FBOs in advance to advise expected arrival and departure dates and times.
- Operators should file normal preferred routes into the Louisville area.
- Operators should file specific departure routes as outlined in the FAA air traffic procedures NOTAM.
- Operators should file flight plans in and/or out of the Louisville area between 24 and six hours prior to planned departure (the earlier the better).
- If an FAA-managed ground delay program is in effect for Louisville International Airport (SDF), operators can obtain their expected departure clearance time from their flight plan service provider or the FAA website.