Sept. 6, 2013
Effective October 17, 2013, new westbound departure routings will be instituted for traffic departing the Chicago metropolitan area airports. A letter to airmen was released in late August outlining the new routings based on which airport you depart from in the Chicago area. Routes for traffic departing Chicago O’Hare Airport (ORD) and airports north of ORD which include Chicago Executive Airport (PWK) and Waukegan Regional Airport (UGN) will have different routings than those departing Chicago Midway Airport (MDW) and airports south of ORD including Gary/Chicago Intl Airport (GYY). The new routes are mostly point to point and are listed below.
For a detailed discussion and tips on using the west departures out of the satellite airports please go to the Chicago Area Business Aviation Association website.
Chicago Westbound Departure Routes Effective October 17, 2013
ORD/UGN/PWK and Airports North of ORD
- ..MYKIE..MONNY..ALO (MSP Metro)
MDW/GYY and Airports South of ORD
- ..PEKUE..OBENE..MONNY..ALO (MSP Metro)
- ..PEKUE..OBENE.. OGALE
Aurora Municipal Airport (ARR)/DuPage Airport (DPA)/Lewis University Airport (LOT)
Note: Flights to Waterloo Regional (ALO), Rochester International (RST), Dubuque Regional (DBQ), Peoria International (PIA), The Eastern Iowa (CID), Clinton Municipal (CWI), Iowa City Municipal (IOW), Des Moines International (DSM), Quad City International (MLI) airports will be issued a departure fix based on destination.
Please do not file any unnecessary remarks in your flight plan as it may cause strip printing errors in the towers.
Any questions pertaining to these new westbound departure procedures, please contact the Chicago ARTCC Airspace and Procedures Office at (630) 906-8234.
These new Westbound Routings Will Provide the Following Improvements:
- Increased number of routes accommodate increased traffic volume
- For most destinations any route may be filed
- Multiple transitions provide greater flexibility for fuel efficient routes
New Runway at Chicago O’Hare (ORD) 10C/28C Set to Open on October 17, 2013
Runway 10C/28C at Chicago O’Hare (ORD) is scheduled to be commissioned on October 17, 2013. There will be several changes to procedures in and out of ORD associated with the additional runway as noted below.
- VEECK ONE (RNAV) STAR replaces the ROYKO THREE permanently.
- Dual arrival streams active for Southwest Corner Post on a West flow configuration:
- BENKY TWO (RNAV) STAR
- TRTLL ONE (RNAV) STAR
- Dual arrival streams active for a Southeast Corner Post on an East flow configuration:
- ESSPO ONE (RNAV) STAR
- VEECK ONE (RNAV) STAR
- Western STARs (BULLZ, TRIDE, BENKY, TRTLL) have VNAV which terminates at TRACON boundary.
- Surface movement/taxi procedures in the airport movement area (detailed in powerpoint presentation)
Only RNAV STARs should be filed unless aircraft are not RNAV capable
View FAA Presentation on O’Hare Airport Surface Changes (407 KB, PDF)