Jan. 23, 2023
Robert “Bob” Wright, former NBAA Safety Committee member and longtime general aviation safety and training advocate, passed away at his home on Jan. 14.
Wright was an aviation safety and regulatory expert with more than 35 years of experience. Most recently, he served as president of Wright Aviation Solutions LLC, and previously held positions as manager of the General Aviation and Commercial Division of the FAA and director of training and director of regulatory affairs at Eclipse Aviation, among other positions within the industry. Wright also was a contributing writer for AvWeb and Aviation Safety magazine.
“Bob dedicated his career – both in the government and in industry – to improving safety in general aviation with a special focus on pilot training and innovation,” said Mark Larsen, CAM, NBAA director of safety. “He was a committed advocate for general aviation and his legacy will continue to positively impact the industry.”
Wright received NBAA Safety Committee’s Meritorious Service Award in 2016, in recognition of his contributions to general aviation safety, particularly with risk mitigation in single-pilot operations. He also received:
- Founders Award from the Society of Aviation and Flight Educators
- Flight Service Strategic Management Award
- Turning Goals into Reality Award from the AGATE Alliance Team for leadership, outstanding service and dedication to the revitalization of the general aviation industry – NASA-FAA
- Advanced General Aviation Experiments Team (AGATE)
- FAA award for development and implementation of FITS
- AOPA Special Citation for inspirational leadership, integrity and unwavering commitment to excellence in public service