July 26, 2017
With the July 31 deadline approaching for seven NBAA scholarships, past winners have one message for potential applicants: don’t miss out on this opportunity to boost your career.
“Scholarships are the best way to advance your progression in the industry,” said Brad Smith, who used his 2016 Lawrence Ginocchio Aviation Scholarship to fund training on a Cessna 340 and Cessna 421C. “Hard work is what gets you to the point where you want to go, but scholarships help you get to that point sooner.”
Smith’s story is one shared by hundreds of business aviation students and professionals who have enhanced their careers with assistance from NBAA scholarships. The NBAA Charities scholarship program, supported by NBAA member donors, offers nearly $100,000 in scholarships each year that benefit students and industry veterans pursuing education and training.
For Destry Jacobs, her scholarship not only advanced her professional aspirations, but also served as an introduction to business aviation. She discovered the Eddie Queen Business Aviation Management Scholarship before her freshman year and, impressed by the industry and its career possibilities, subsequently enrolled in the aviation program at Arizona State University.
With help from the scholarship’s financial assistance, she plans to graduate next May. “It’s opened so many doors for me,” she said.
“Opportunities like this go much further than the money,” said Benjamin Cohen, who used his 2016 William M. Fanning Maintenance Scholarship funds to finish aircraft maintenance technology classes at Greenville Technical College in Greenville, SC. “It spreads the message that if you have goals you want to reach and you work for it, help is out there.”
The seven NBAA scholarships are:
- Al Conklin and Bill de Decker Business Aviation Management Scholarship: $5,000 for educational costs. Available to undergraduate students enrolled or accepted into an aviation management program at an NBAA/University Aviation Association (UAA) member school.
- C & W Family Scholarship: Funds of up to $2,500 to be used for advanced aviation professional education. Available to business aviation professionals.
- William M. Fanning Maintenance Scholarship: Two awards of $2,500 for educational costs. Available to business aviation maintenance technicians.
- Lawrence Ginocchio Aviation Scholarship: Five awards of $4,500 for educational costs. Available to undergraduate students in an aviation management program at an NBAA/UAA member school who demonstrate honesty, integrity and selflessness.
- Eddie Queen Business Aviation Management Scholarship: $2,500 for educational costs. Available to undergraduate students pursuing a career in business aviation management at an NBAA/UAA institution who demonstrate exceptional commitment to customer service.
- Certified Aviation Manager Scholarship: $1,225 to cover CAM application, study guide and exam fees or $300 for the CAM recertification fee, and NBAA-BACE registration. Available to aviation managers who are qualified CAM exam candidates or CAMs pursuing recertification.
- Jake Cartwright Leadership Scholarship: $1,225 to cover CAM application, study guide and exam fees, and NBAA-BACE registration. Available to qualified CAM exam candidates.