Jan 10, 2019
The U.S. Department of State recently issued an advisory to travelers to exercise increased caution in Italy due to threat of terrorism.
According to the advisory, terrorist groups continue plotting possible attacks in Italy, potentially targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, local government facilities, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, parks, major sporting and cultural events, educational institutions and other public areas.
The Department of State recommends travelers to Italy:
- Be aware of their surrounds when visiting tourist locations and crowded public venues
- Monitor local media for breaking events
- Enroll in the State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts and assist U.S. officials in locating and assisting you in an emergency
- Follow the Department of State on social media
- Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Italy
“NBAA encourages all travelers, including crewmembers, review the State Department’s information page for each country of travel and to register with the State Department’s STEP program prior to international travel,” said Doug Carr, NBAA’s vice president of international and regulatory affairs. “These free resources are helpful in trip planning and critical for managing an emergency overseas.”