The purpose of the CAM application is to assist you in qualifying and applying for the CAM exam. Using a point-based system to evaluate your employment history, formal education, licensing and certification, and continuing education, this document will enable you to conduct a self-assessment to determine whether or not you possess the qualifications required to apply for the exam. NBAA encourages those who do not yet qualify for the exam to pursue professional development opportunities in order to qualify in the future.
The application is divided into five areas:
- Personal Information and Employment History
- Formal Education
- Application Point Qualification System
- Letters of Recommendation
- Payment Information
Application Point Qualification System
Individuals may use the Application Point Qualification System to calculate CAM application points for employment history, formal education, licensing and certification, and continuing education.
- Employment History – 90 points maximum
- Formal Education – 45 points maximum; choose points for highest level of education attained
- Licensing and Certification – 30 points maximum; copies of licenses and certificates are required to be submitted with the application
- Continuing Education – 45 points maximum
A minimum total of 100 points is required in the CAM application to qualify for the CAM exam.
Two years of business aviation experience are required. Points are awarded based on experience in various supervisory and nonsupervisory positions. The four employment categories are as follows:
- People Management With Direct Reports – Supervisory (e.g., chief pilot, chief of maintenance, dispatch supervisor, director, CFO)
- Program Management in Business Aviation – Nonsupervisory (e.g., standards, safety, lead technician, lead scheduler, lead flight attendant, training)
- Pilot/Maintenance/Dispatch in Business Aviation – Nonsupervisory (e.g., captain, pilot, co-pilot, flight attendant, scheduler, technician, admin)
- Aviation Other – Nonsupervisory (e.g., occupations from other aviation segments such as airline, military, CFI, line service, admin)
- Aviation Trade School – 15 points
- Associate’s Degree – 25 points
- Baccalaureate Degree – 35 points
- Master’s Degree or Higher – 45 points
Maximum points allowed from formal education are 45 points, no matter how many degrees awarded.
Letters of Recommendation
Each applicant for the Certified Aviation Manager (CAM) program is required to provide two signed letters of recommendation from individuals who know the applicant and can comment on their motivation, potential, and qualifications to be a CAM.
We ask that those providing reference letters for a candidate address the following questions as a minimum:
- Please indicate how long, and in what context, you have known the applicant.
- What do you feel are the applicant’s major strengths? Please include a specific example or an occasion in which these strengths were demonstrated, and how this pertains to the applicant’s potential as a CAM.
- What do you consider to be the major impact the applicant has made in his/her professional work?
- What is the applicant’s potential? What position or level of responsibility do you expect the candidate to achieve in his/her career?
- In what specific ways would you anticipate that this applicant would benefit from achieving CAM certification? In what ways do you expect their company/organization and co-workers would benefit?
Get Started Today
Those interested in becoming CAMs must meet certain qualifications in order to take the exam. Review the CAM application now.
The exam is appropriate for any individual currently managing, or aspiring to manage, any aspect of business aviation operations.
Prepare for the Exam
- Take NBAA Professional Development Program (PDP) courses
- Participate in industry events, training classes and study groups
- Review the CAM Study Guide
- Enroll in the Six Months to CAM program
Apply for the Exam
- Review the CAM application
- Have at least two years’ industry experience
- Have a minimum of 100 points in the CAM application
- Once approved, your CAM application is good for two years from the approval date.