July 27, 2017
A major airfield construction project will be taking place at L.G. Hanscom Field (BED), which will impact the availability of Runway 11/29.
The project involves the re-paving of the runway, with associated repainting and grooving of the new surface. The project begins Aug. 1, and Runway 11/29 will be closed through Aug. 30. Runway 5/23 will be available during the majority of the closure period, except from 6 p.m. (EDT) Aug. 11 – 6 a.m. (EDT) Aug. 14, when it will also close to allow for the repaving of the runway intersection weather permitting.
The re-paving project is scheduled to be completed on or about Sept. 14.
- From Aug. 1-30: (Phases 1 and 3, concurrently)
- Runway 11/29 will close for a 30-day period. Reopening is scheduled for Aug. 30
- This runway will be unavailable for this entire time period
From Aug. 11 – 14: (Phase 2 – weather permitting)
From 6 p.m. (EDT) Aug. 11 – 6 a.m. (EDT) Aug. 14, Runway 5/23 will also be closed to allow for the repaving of the runway intersection.
During this time, all fixed-wing aircraft will be unable to operate. Helicopter operations will be authorized.
- If Phase 2 is postponed due to inclement weather, the closure will move to alternate dates of 6 p.m. (EDT) Aug.18 – 6 a.m. (EDT) Aug. 21.
- From Aug. 31 – Sept. 14: (Phase 4)
- Between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. (EDT), Runway 11/29 will be closed for painting and grooving.
- Dates and times may be adjusted to further accommodate the work schedule.
- Runway intersection repaving activities are tentatively scheduled and may be changed as conditions warrant.
- Always check NOTAM information prior to flight.
- Except as noted above, Runway 5/23 will remain open throughout the construction project.
- The instrument landing systems associated with Runway 11/29 will not be available during the time periods the runway is closed.
- Flight crews can expect, at times, delays to be encountered during certain periods of peak traffic demand.
- Local pattern traffic may also be curtailed during these time periods.
View a Letter to Airmen about the project. (PDF)