- What is Business Aviation?
- Flight Department Administration
- Aircraft Operations
- Professional Development
- News & Publications
- Products & Services
NBAA is now accepting nominations for the 2017 NBAA Dr. Tony Kern Professionalism in Aviation Award. Please review all instructions and requirements listed below. Nominations must be submitted via the online form no later than Wednesday, May 31, 2017. Winners will be announced late summer.
Established in 2015, the NBAA Dr. Tony Kern Professionalism in Aviation Award recognizes individual aviation professionals (pilots, maintenance technicians, flight attendants, dispatchers or other aviation professionals) who have demonstrated their outstanding professionalism and leadership in support of aviation safety in the business aviation industry.
Call for Nominations
NBAA annually accepts nominations for the Dr. Tony Kern Professionalism in Aviation Award. After the submission deadline, an NBAA member panel will review all nominations and recommend appropriate nominees for the award. When nominees are confirmed, they will be notified and officially recognized .
Nominees will have demonstrated a continuous history of extraordinary participation in, or support of, professionalism in business aviation. They will have exhibited leadership qualities, outstanding achievements and significant contributions in the following categories of professionalism*:
- Vocational Excellence
- Professional Ethics
- Continuous Improvement
- Professional Engagement
- Professional Image
* Professional competencies as described in The Integrated Model of Professionalism by Dr. Tony Kern.
A nominee must be:
- Nominated by an individual within the business aviation community.
- Employed in business aviation.
- Credited with demonstrating activities in support of aviation professionalism and safety as listed in all six categories above.
What Should a Nomination Package Include?
All nominations submitted to NBAA should include the following materials:
- A completed nomination form from the nominator.
- One letter of recommendation from a business aviation professional other than the nominator supporting the nomination.
- The nominee's professional resume describing the nominee's education, employment, accomplishments and honors as they relate to the award criteria.
When Should Nominations Be Made to NBAA?
NBAA uses an online form to receive nominations for the NBAA Dr. Tony Kern Professionalism in Aviation Award. The deadline for submitting nominations each year is May 31.
For the 2017 awards, nominations will be accepted via the 2017 NBAA Dr. Tony Kern Professionalism in Aviation Award Nomination Form until May 31, 2017.
The nominator must submit the complete nomination packet containing all the above listed materials to NBAA by 11:59 p.m. eastern time on the deadline date.
If a nomination packet is received by the deadline, but judged incomplete by NBAA, then the nominator may be granted an extension, not to exceed 10 days, in order to complete the package requirements. If the extension is still not met satisfactorily, then the nomination package will not be considered.
Tony Kern Professionalism in Aviation Award Winners
- Michael L. Baker, Pentastar Aviation, LLC (2016)
- Kevin T. Bostwick, West Star Aviation (2016)
- James Lee Bradshaw, Cox Enterprises (2016)
- Jon Brokamp, Duke Energy (2016)
- David Scott Crosby, The University of Texas System (2016)
- Steven J. Feldman, Boeing Executive Flight Operations (2016)
- Amanda Marie Ferraro, American Family Insurance (2016)
- Michael Higgins, Bechtel Corp. (2016)
- Bernie Jager, Epps Aviation Inc. (2016)
- Jason Karadimas, Bombardier (2016)
- Steve King Cox Enterprises, Inc. (2016)
- Rick Miller, Merck (2016)
- Michael Ott, Phoenix Air Group, Inc. (2016)
- Jeffrey Wade Perkins, The University of Texas System (2016)
- Frank Raymond, Vulcan Inc. (2016)
- Janet Schiebelhut, Bombardier (2016)
- Marc Alfred Sehrt, TC Equipment (2016)
- William Ashley Smith Jr., Jet Logistics Inc. (2016)
- Richard Wenzel, Duke Energy (2016)